Blog Single Post
13th,14th and 15th May Current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
1#UN To Hold 2020 Ocean Conference In Lisbon
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) decided to hold Ocean Conference 2020 in Lisbon, Portugal from June 2 to 6, 2020 with a theme of “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions.”
- It will be co-hosted by the Governments of Portugal and Kenya.
2#Professor Tijjani Bande Announced As President of UN General Assembly
- Professor Tijjani Mohammad Bande has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly.
- His appointment was announced by María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, outgoing president of UNGA at a press conference in Abuja after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari .
- Bande becomes the second Nigerian to be appointed President of UNGA after Mr. Joseph Nanven Garba who held the position between 1989 and 1990. Bande until his appointment was the permanent representative of Nigeria to UN. Bande was born at Zagga in present day Kebbi State.
3#Sana Mir becomes most successful women’s ODI spinner in the world
- Pakistan off-spinner Sana Mir bagged the title of the most successful women ODI’s spinner in the world after she dismissed Sune Luus from South Africa in the third ODI of ICC Women’s Championship on Sunday.
- After taking the 147th ODI wicket in her 118th appearance, the former Pakistan women’s team captain has jumped to top sending West Indies’ player Anisa Mohammed and Australia’s Lisa Sthalekar on number three on the list of all-time successful bowlers.
4#United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) titled ‘Sand and Sustainability
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) titled Sand and Sustainability: finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources‘, India and China top a list of nations where illegal sand mining has become a key environmental issue.
- The report focuses on the altering pattern of sand consumption, demand and role among the growing population.
- The report brings to light that sand and gravel are the 2nd largest natural resources that are extracted but are the least regulated.
- The first largest being water. UNEP declares it as one of the major sustainability challenges of the country in the 21st century.
- The report stresses on the fact that large scale sand mining breaks the natural ecosystem, thus causing ecological damage.
5# IPS officer Chhaya Sharma was recognised with the Prestigious Courage and Leadership Award by the Arizona State University’s McCain Institute this month
- IPS officer Chhaya Sharma, who led the investigation team of the infamous Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case, has been awarded the 2019 McCain Institute Award for Courage and Leadership.
- The award is given to those who show courage on behalf of human rights, humanitarian compassion, justice, freedom, and human dignity.
6# Manchester City Wins Premier League FootBall Title 2019
- Manchester City clinched their fourth Premier League title footballafter winning the 2018-19 season. Manchester City registered a victory against Brighton to accumulate 98 points, while Liverpool, who were also in the title race, finished second with 97 points.
- Dominant Manchester City have successfully retained their Premier League title on the final day of an exhilarating 2018-19 campaign . Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has been named the Premier League Player of the Season.
7# Croatian Igor Stimac appointed Indian football team coach
- Former Croatia international and manager Igor Stimac will be appointed as the Indian men’s team coach after the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) technical committee recommended him for the post.
8# MI Beat CSK By 1 Run To Win IPL Title 2019
- Mumbai Indians became for the fourth time IPL champions after defeating Chennai Super Kings by one run in a thrilling final in Hyderabad.
- Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the most successful wicket-keeper in the history of IPL by taking his 132 dismissals .
- Orange Cap- David Warner of Sunrisers Hyderabad scored most runs: 692 Runs in 12 Matches.
- Purple Cap- Imran Tahir of Chennai Super Kings took most wickets: 26 Wickets in 17 Matches.
- Jonny Bairstow of Sunrisers Hyderabad Highest Individual Score: 114 Runs.
9#WTO Ministerial Meeting of Developing Countries Held In New Delhi
- The WTO Ministerial Meeting of Developing Countries concluded in New Delhi .
- The Ministerial Meeting began last evening with a dinner hosted by the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu.
- The Director General of WTO, Roberto Azevedo, was also present during the dinner.
10#DRDO Successfully Conducted Flight Test of ABHYAS
- India successfully conducted the flight test of ABHYAS –High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from a test range in Odisha.
- The trial, carried out by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Balasore, was tracked by various radars and electro-optic systems.
- About DRDO
- Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy,
- Established in: year 1958
- Headquarter in: Bengaluru.
11# Cannes Film Festival Begins In France
- The Cannes Film Festival has begun in France. Information and Broadcasting Secretary Amit Khare is leading the Indian delegation at Cannes and will inaugurate India Pavilion.
- The Pavilion will showcase Indian cinema across linguistic, cultural and regional diversity, with the aim of forging international partnerships in distribution, production, filming in India.
- Indian Delegation will also release a special poster to mark the golden jubilee of International Film Festival of India (IFFI-2019).
12#NABARD Announces Rs700-cr Venture Capital Fund For Agriculture, Rural Startups
- TheNational Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) announced Rs 700-crore venture capital fund for equity investments in agriculture and rural-focused startups.
- NABARD has been contributing to other funds till now and this is the first time that the rural development bank has launched a fund of its own.
- The fund has been launched by Nabventures, a subsidiary of NABARD, and has a proposed corpus of Rs 500 crore with an option to retain over-subscription of Rs 200 crore, called as the greenshoe option.
13# ICICI Bank joins hands with travel portal Goibibo to launch multi-currency card
ICICI Bank announced the launch of a co-branded multi-currency card with online travel booking portal Goibibo. The card also includes benefits of up to Rs20,000, including gift vouchers of Rs15,000 from Goibibo.
14#CEAT Cricket Rating Awards 2019 Announced: Complete List of Winners
CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) Awards 2019 were announced in Mumbai. India captain Virat Kohli bagged the International Cricketer and Batsman of the Year awardduring the CCR International awards. Pacer Jasprit Bumrah was adjudged as International Bowler of the Year.
Here is the complete list of winners of CEAT Cricket Rating Awards 2019:
|1.||International Cricketer and Batsman of the Year||Virat Kohli|
|2.||International Bowler of the Year||Jasprit Bumrah|
|3.||International Test Cricketer of the Year||Cheteshwar Pujara|
|4.||International ODI Cricketer of the Year||Rohit Sharma|
|5.||International T20 Player of the Year||Aaron Finch|
|6.||Outstanding Performance of the Year||Kuldeep Yadav|
|7.||International T20 Bowler of the Year||Rashid Khan|
|8.||Lifetime Achievement Award||Mohinder Amarnath|
|9.||Domestic Player of the Year||Ashutosh Aman|
|10.||International Woman Cricketer of the Year||Smriti Mandhana|
|11.||Junior Cricketer of the Year||Yashasvi Jaiswal|
15#Indian Navy’s 1st Full-Fledged SSB Opened At Kolkata
- The Indian Navy’s first full-fledged Services Selection Board (SSB) was inaugurated by Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba at Diamond Harbour near Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The SSB (Kolkata) is located at a place that was previously occupied by a Naval Coastal Battery.
- This is the fifth SSB of the Indian Navy. The other boards are located in Bhopal, Bengaluru, Visakhapatnam and Coimbatore.
16#UN Imposed Sanctions On Terror Group ISIS Khorasan
- The UN has imposed sanctions on terror group ISIS-Khorasan (ISIS-K) for its links with Al-Qaeda and involvement in several attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- The United Nations Security Council’s 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee sanctioned Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan (ISIL-K). It is now subject to the assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo .
17#Paytm Partners With Citibank To Launch 1st Credit Card ‘Paytm First Card’
- Digital payments company Paytm, in association with Citibank, launched its first credit card called Paytm First Card. The card is issued by Citibank and doesn’t involve any hidden fees or charges.
- Paytm First Card comes with unlimited cash back and will be accepted in India as well globally .
18#BharatPe Ropes In Salman Khan As Brand Ambassador
- Merchant service and UPI payments app BharatPe has roped in Bollywood actor Salman Khan as its brand ambassador.
- The company is on an aggressive growth spree and will be launching a brand advertising campaign with Khan shortly.
- The new brand campaign with Khan will be focused towards educating merchants and users about UPI payments along with driving adoption of BharatPe app for all their business needs.
- The fintech startup will also partner with the actor for outdoor campaigns, radio, social media and in-app education initiatives.
19#RBI Appoints R Gandhi On YES Bank Board
- The Reserve Bank of India has appointed its former Deputy Governor, R Gandhi, on the board of private sector lender YES Bank as an additional director. The appointment has been done in exercise of powers conferred under sub-section (1) of Section 36AB of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.