Blog Single Post
2nd May And 3rd may current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
1#Netherlands emerges as third largest foreign direct investor in India
- With investments estimated at about USD 2.7 billion across sectors, the Netherlands has emerged as the third largest foreign direct investor in India during 2017-18.
- The Netherlands Ambassador to India Marten van den Berg said that India is a key strategic partner for the Netherlands, both economically and geopolitically.
- Berg further added that the two countries jointly can contribute towards achieving the sustainable development goals (SDGs) by 2030.
- UNCTAD is a permanent intergovernmental body established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1964. Our headquarters are located in Geneva, Switzerland, and we have offices in New York and Addis Ababa.
- UNCTAD can publish world investment report.
- UNCTAD – United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
2#SBI Links Interest Rates To RBI’s Repo Rate
- Public sector lender State Bank of India (SBI) became the first Indian bank to link its saving and loan interest rates to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s repo rate.
- The move assumes significance as the effective interest rate from May 1 on savings deposit above Rs 1 lakh will come down to 3.25 per cent from 3.5 per cent.
3#UN designates Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar as global terrorist
- The United Nations Security Council(UNSC)designatedPakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist after China lifted its hold on a proposal to blacklist him under the Security Council’s Sanctions Committee.
- The announcement was made by India’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to UN, Syed Akbaruddin.
- About – United Nations Security Council
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Formation: 1945
4#Apurvi Chandela attains world number one spot in women’s 10 m air rifle event
- Indian shooting ace Apurvi Chandela today attained the world number one position in the women’s 10 metres air rifle event while compatriot Anjum Moudgil rose to number two after consistent performances in recent years.
- The rifle ace from Jaipur is among the five Indian shooters to have already secured 2020 Olympics quotas for the country.
- Meanwhile, Moudgil attained the world number two rank in 10 metres Air Rifle after her mixed team gold at the ISSF World Cup in Beijing. Manu Bhaker is the world number 10 in 25 metres pistol women category.
5#Kumar Sangakkara Named As 1st Non-British President of Marylebone Cricket Club
- The former Sri Lanka batsman Kumar Sangakkara has been appointed as the first non-British president of Marylebone Cricket Club.
- Sangakkara will begin his one-year tenure in October, having been nominated by the incumbent, Anthony Wreford.
6#GREEN NUMBER PLATES BECOME MANDATORY ON ALL ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN INDIA
- The government had previously proposed a unique green-coloured number plate for all-electric vehicles in India.
- The Central government has asked the state transport departments to make it compulsory for all Electric Vehicles to implement the use of the green number plates, despite the year in which they were bought.
- It has been said that the number plate is supposed to have the vehicle number inscribed in white colour on a green background. The new proposal is supposed to help provide a better treatment to the vehicles with no carbon emissions.
7#World Press Freedom Day – 3 May
- World Press Freedom Day is celebrated on 3rd May every year. It was started by the UN General Assembly in 1993, on are commendation from UNESCO.
- The theme for this year’s World Press Freedom Day is Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation.
8#Former ISRO Chairman Awarded France’s Highest Civilian Honour
- Former ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar was conferred with France’s highest civilian honour, Chevalier de l’Ordre national de la Legion d’Honneur, for his contribution to India-France space cooperation..
- Kumar was conferred with the prestigious honour by France’s Ambassador to India Alexandre Ziegler on behalf of the French President.
- About ISRO
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan.
9#India retains top spot in ICC Test rankings
- India retained its top position in the ICC Test rankings, while England remained the number one ODI side in the latest annual d rankings released in Dubai .
- India also moved two points in second position in the ODI rankings behind England .
10#BSNL launches ‘Bharat Fiber’ broadband service in Pulwama
- BSNL has become the first operator to start optical fiber-based high-speed broadband service in Pulwama with the launch of Bharat Fibre .
- This is the first such FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) service deployment in the (Kashmir) Valley under this unique revenue share model .
11#UK parliament becomes first in the world to pass motion declaring a ‘climate emergency’
- The UK parliament has become the first in the world to pass a motion declaring an “environment and climate emergency”, as pressure on the government to adopt a net zero emission target as soon as possible continued to intensify.
- The parliamentary backing for a climate emergency comes just hours before the Committee on Climate Change is set to publish its long-awaited review of the feasibility of setting a net zero emission target, which is expected to see the government’s official advisors call for a net zero target by 2050.
- Environment Secretary Michael Gove accepted that climate change is an “emergency, it is a crisis, it is a threat”. But when challenged to formally declare a climate emergency, he reiterated the government’s previous argument that actions to cut emissions were more important than changing the semantics governing the UK’s approach.
12#Mangaluru Police Gets An All-women Patrol Unit “Rani Abbakka Force”
- Mangaluru City Police has launched an all-women police patrol unit in the city.Flagging off the ‘Rani Abbakka Force’ in Mangaluru by Sandeep Patil, Commissioner of Police, said the Karnataka police is giving utmost importance to the protection of women and children.
- Stating that various locations in the city have been mapped for patrolling, he said it will cover the malls, beaches, educational institutions, places of religious importance, and public transport system in the city. The force will handle issues related to eve-teasing and chain-snatching, among others.
13#Bajrang Punia wins gold at Ali Aliev tournament in Russia
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia defeated Viktor Rassadin in the finals of men’s 65kg freestyle in Ali Aliev wrestling tournament in Russia’s Kaspiisk to bag his second title in two weeks.
- Bajrang, The 25-year-old had won gold medal at the Asian Championships in China’s Xi’an on April 23 .
14#G Sathiyan becomes first Indian to break into top-25 of ITTF rankings
- India’s G Sathiyan on scaled new heights in his rapidly rising career by becoming the first Indian to break into the top-25 of world rankings.
- Sathiyan rose four spots to be 24th in the latest ITTF rankings, following his impressive sixth place finish in the Asia Cup in Yokohama earlier this month. Last week, he was the sole Indian to reach the round of 32 in the World Championships in Hungary.
15#Putin Signs Controversial ‘Internet Sovereignty’ Bill into Law
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed into law a new measure that aims to expand government control over the Internet. It would enable the creation of a national network, able to operate separately from the rest of the world.
- The new law aims to protect Russia from foreign online restrictions by creating a “sustainable, secure and fully functioning” local internet.
16#Jayshree Vyas appointed as BSEs first independent woman director
- BSE, formerly known as the Bombay Stock Exchange, has finally appointed its first independent woman director Jayshree Vyas.
- The appointment was still late by at least a few weeks from the deadline of April 1 given to all top 500 listed companies based on their market capitalisation for appointing an independent woman director on their board .