Blog Single Post
30th april and 1st may Current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
1#Alfred Brownell won the Goldman Environmental Prize
- Alfred Brownell, an environmental lawyer, and activist was awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize.
- Alfred Brownell, 53, was forced to flee Liberia and remains exiled in the United States after he mounted a campaign against Singapore-controlled Golden Veroleum Liberia (GVL), one of the world’s biggest palm oil producing companies .
2# Star Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar won the outstanding achievement as a player award at the fourth GIA awards.
- Arjuna awardee and star Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar won the outstanding achievement as a player award at the fourth edition of the annual India Golf Industry Association (GIA) awards at the Delhi Golf Club.
- The GIA awards were held along with the 8th India Golf & Turf Expo (IGTE), South Asia’s largest golf trade show.
3# Nation observes Ayushman Bharat Diwas on 30th April
- As part of Gram Swaraj Abhiyan, Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated across the country on April 30.
- For the first time, the day was observed on 30th April 2018. During the event, information regarding Ayushman Bharat Scheme was provided to people during health camps organised in rural areas.
- The scheme has the benefit cover of Rs. 5 lakh per family per year. The target beneficiaries of the proposed scheme will be more than 10 crore families belonging to poor and vulnerable population.
4#India was 4th biggest military spender last year :SIPRI report
- Total world military expenditure rose to $1822 billion in 2018, representing an increase of 2.6 per cent from 2017, according to new data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). The five biggest spenders in 2018 were the United States, China, Saudi Arabia, India and France, which together accounted for 60 per cent of global military spending.
- India was the world’s fourth biggest military spender in 2018 , according to new data think tank Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) .
5#President Trump Withdraws U.S. from United Nations Arms Trade Treaty
- President Trump effectively “unsigned” an international arms sales agreement , moving to withdraw the U.S. from the United Nations’ Arms Trade Treaty.
- The agreement sets global standards for regulating transfers of conventional arms, from rifles to tanks and airplanes.
6#Iraq maintains top position as India’s crude oil supplier in 2018-2019
- Iraq has, for the second year in a row, become India’s top crude oil supplier, meeting more than a fifth of the country’s oil needs in 2018-19 fiscal year.
- According to data sourced from the Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics, Iraq sold 46.61 million tonnes (mt) of crude oil to India during April 2018 and March 2019, 2% more than 45.74 mt it had supplied in 2017-18 fiscal.
7#India Ratings cuts India GDP growth forecast for FY20 to 7.3%
- India Ratings and Research marginally lowered country’s GDP growth projection for 2019-20 fiscal to 7.3 per cent mainly due to below normal monsoon prediction and loss of momentum in industrial output.
- The Fitch group company had earlier projected India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth at 7.5 per cent.
8#PayTm launches recurring payments for online merchants
- PayTm launched recurring payment service for online merchants . The launch is aimed to equip subscription-based businesses to effortlessly collect payments from their users’ month on month.
- This service will simplify payments for several growing use cases in India such as bill payments, content subscription, grocery purchases, membership fees and a lot more .
9#International Labour Day: 1st May
- International Labour Day / May Day / International Workers’ Day is celebrated across the world on 1st of May every year.
- The theme of International Labour Day 2019 is “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”.
10#Indo-French joint naval exercise Varuna 19.1 begins off Goa coast
- The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 is being held off the Goa coast from 1 to 10 May 2019.
- Varuna 19.2, the second part of the exercise, is scheduled to be held in May end in Djibouti .
- The bilateral naval exercise which was started in 1983 and christened as ‘Varuna’ in 2001, form a vital part of the Indo-French strategic partnership.
11#BCCI recommends Bumrah, Shami, Jadeja, Poonam for Arjuna Award 2019
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) recommended four Indian cricketers – Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Ravindra Jadeja and Poonam Yadav – for the Arjuna Award 2019.
- Bumrah is currently the world NO.1 ODI bowler, while Jadeja is the world number three Test all-rounder. Poonam Yadav is ranked second in women’s T20I rankings for bowlers.
- Shami and Bumrah were also instrumental in India’s first ever Test series win in Australia earlier this year.
12#For the First Time in 200 Years, Japan’s Emperor Has Abdicated the Throne
- Akihito became the first Japanese Emperor to step down from the throne in more than 200 years.
- Crown Prince Naruhito, will ascend the Chrysanthemum throne today, beginning a new era. 30 April was the last day of the Heisei imperial era.
- Crown Prince Naruhito, will be inaugurated as the 126th emperor.