Blog Single Post
27th,28th and 29th April Current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
1#The RBI will shortly issue Rs 20 denomination banknotes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that it will shortly issue ₹20 denomination banknotes, in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) series, bearing the signature of the central bank’s governor Shaktikanta Das.
- The ₹20 note will be greenish-yellow in colour. The new banknote has a motif of Ellora Caves on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage,” a statement by the RBI said.
- The dimension of the new ₹20 note will be 63 mm x 129 mm, the statement said.
- The obverse (front) side of the note contains a see-through register with denominational numeral 100, a latent image with the numeral and also a Devanagari version of the same.
2#SWIFT appointed Javier Perez-Tasso as Chief Executive Officer
- The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT), a payment messaging firm, has chosen Javier Pérez-Tasso as its new chief executive officer .
- He will begin his new assignment on July 1, replacing Gottfried Leibbrandt, who announced last December that he would be stepping down effective at the end of June.
- Headquarters: La Hulpe, Belgium
- CEO: Gottfried Leibbrandt
- Founded: 1973
- Number of employees: >2000
- Subsidiaries: SWIFT India Domestic Services Pvt Ltd
3#India pushes African right to permanent UNSC seat
- India has stressed Africa’s right to representation among the ranks of the permanent members of the UN Security Council in an effort to bring in a sense of urgency to the long-stalled reform process.
- Sanjay Rana, Director General, UN Division, Government of India, said that the UNSC should reflect the world of today and not of 1945. UNSC’s reform has perhaps been the most important and yet stagnating processes of the General Assembly.
- United Nations Security Council (UNSC)
- Founded in: 1945
- Member: 15 countries
- President: Christoph Heusgen
4#SC directs RBI to disclose information on bank inspection report under RTI
- Supreme Court gave “last Chance” to the Central bank to disclose its annual inspection reports of private banks and financial institutions along with the list of loan defaulters and non-performing assets (NPAs) under the Right to Information (RTI) Act .
- A bench headed by Justice L. Nageswara Rao also directed the RBI bank to review its policy to disclose information relating to banks under RTI, saying, It is duty-bound under the law.
5#Microsoft becomes world’s third company to be worth $1 trillion
- Microsoft has reached a valuation of one trillion dollars for the first time after posting a 19pc increase in profits.
- It makes the software giant only the third publicly-traded company in history to reach the threshold, after Apple and Amazon passed it last year.
- The two companies have since fallen in value and Microsoft is now the world’s largest listed company. Shares rose almost 4pc in early trading to more than $130.50 putting Microsoft’s market capitalisation above Apple.
6#Wirecard expands partnership with India’s RBL Bank to drive financial inclusion
- The new services are powered by India’s Aadhaar Enabled Payment Services (AEPS) to enable customer identification at the point-of-sale
- Wirecard, the global innovation leader in digital financial technology, announced an expanded partnership with RBL Bank to promote financial inclusion in India.
- This partnership will make digital payment and banking transactions more readily accessible to all Indian citizens, including those living in remote areas.
- In partnership with RBL, Wirecard will empower its retail agents, who serve as customer service representatives in various areas across the country, to enable the financially underserved to access basic payment and banking services. These include cash withdrawals and deposits as well as balance enquiries.
7#World Day for Safety and Health at Work 28 April
- Inspired by the International Labour Organization (ILO) centenary and discussions on the future of work, the world day this year attempts to take stock of a 100 years of work in improving occupational safety and health and looks to the future for continuing these efforts through major changes such as technology, demographics, sustainable development including climate change and changes in work organization.
- The World Day celebration on 28 April 2019 will be only the beginning of worldwide events and activities to continue throughout the rest of the year.
- The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is an annual international campaign to promote safe, healthy and decent work. It is held on 28 April and has been observed by the International Labour Organization (ILO) since 2003.
- About ILO
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Guy Ryder
- Founder: Paris Peace Conference, 1919
- Establishment : 29 October 1919
8#Govt forms committee to examine introduction of e-invoices under GST
- The government is exploring introduction of electronic invoices (e-invoices) through Goods and Services Tax (GST) portal, a move which if implemented will help streamline the indirect tax system and ensure better compliance by keeping a check on tax evasion.
- A 13-member committee having representatives from GST Network (GSTN), central and state governments has been formed to examine the electronic tax invoice system of South Korea, Latin America and other countries and suggest a model for India.
9#ICMR launched Malaria Elimination Research Alliance
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has launched the Malaria Elimination Research Alliance (MERA) India which is a conglomeration of partners working on malaria control in order to eliminate the disease from India by 2030.
- The National Vector Borne Diseases Control Program (NVBDCP)of India has also developed a comprehensive framework to achieve the target of “Malaria free India by 2030”.
10#NITI Aayog Accepted the proposal that dentists can practice as General Physicians
- Niti Aayog has agreed to the proposal of the Dental Council of India which had sought to allow dentists to practice as general physicians after a bridge course.
- The proposal was in the backdrop of the call by the Prime Minister’s office to explore unconventional methods to address the shortage of doctors in the country, particularly in rural areas.
11#World Veterinary Day 2019 is observed on 28th April
- The World Veterinary Day 2019 is observed on 28th April. It is an opportunity to celebrate the contributions of veterinarians to the health of animals and society.
- The theme for the day is the Value of Vaccination. The day is initiated by the World Veterinary Association .
12# Pankaj Advani wins inaugural Asian Snooker Tour title
- Pankaj Advani claimed the inaugural Asian Snooker Tour title at Bengaluru, Karnataka. He secured 6-4 and defeated Ehsan Heydari Nezhad of Iran.
- Advani, a 21-time world snooker and billiards champion, beat Nezhad 52-40, 66(58)-0, 1-63(62), 78-4, 35-47, 0-51, 47-35, 38-39, 53(49)-35, 51(50)-20 in the final. He had earlier defeated Aung Phyo of Myanmar (5-2) 50-27, 92(92)-0, 86(86)-15, 12-62, 54-30, 24-70, 79-5 in the semifinal. Advani had earlier won the second leg of the Tour in China.
- Advani was leading the ranking before the final leg of the Tour in Bengaluru. The final leg was to determine the overall Asian Tour champion.
13#Indian naval ships Kolkata and Shakti has arrived at South Korea’s Busan to participate in the ADMM-Plus Maritime Security Field Training Exercise (FTX)
- ASEAN Defence Ministers Meetings (ADMM)-is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and Defence Cooperation for Peace, Stability and Development in the Region.
- The ADMM-Plus countries include ten ASEAN Member States and eight Plus Countries, namely Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, the Russian Federation and the United States.
- The ships will sail to Singapore, where the closing ceremony of ADMM Plus Exercise is scheduled.
- At Singapore, the ships will also participate in the International Maritime Defence Expo, IMDEX –19 and the Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise, SIMBEX-19.
14# Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman reached Kyrgzstan for a meeting of the Defence Ministers of the SCO countries
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman held a bilateral meeting with her Chinese counterpart General Wei Fenghe at the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, SCO Defence Ministers’ Meet at Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan today. She reached Bishkek on a three-day visit.
- The SCO Defence Ministers will explore ways to further boost defence and security cooperation among the member countries in the wake of evolving security challenges in the region.
15# RBI extends ombudsman scheme to non-deposit taking NBFCs
- “The Reserve Bank of India today has extended the coverage of Ombudsman Scheme for Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs), 2018 (the Scheme) to eligible Non Deposit Taking Non Banking Financial Companies (NBFC-NDs) having asset size of Rs 100 crore or above with customer interface,” the RBI circular said.
- NBFC-Infrastructure Finance Companies (NBFC-IFC), core investment companies (CIC), infrastructure debt fund-non-banking financial company (IDFNBFC) and an NBFC under liquidation, are excluded from the ambit of the scheme.
- The scheme was launched on February 23, 2018 for redressal of complaints against NBFCs registered with RBI under Section 45-IA of the RBI Act, 1934 and covered all deposit accepting NBFCs to begin with.
- It provides a cost-free and expeditious complaint redressal mechanism relating to deficiency in the services by NBFCs covered under the scheme.
- The offices of the NBFC ombudsmen are functioning at four metro centres — New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai and handle complaints of customers in the respective zones.
16# Australia’s Claire Polosak has become the first woman to umpire a men’s one-day international.
- Australia’s Claire Polosak said it was a “special day” as she made history in becoming the first female umpire to stand in a men’s one-day international.
- The 31-year-old officiated in the final of the World Cricket League Division 2 between hosts Namibia and Oman at the weekend and admitted she would “sleep well” after her performance.
17# Akane Yamaguchi has become the first Japanese to win the women single’ title of Asian Badminton championships in Wuhan
- Akane Yamaguchi became the first Japanese to win the women’s singles title at Badminton Asian Championships when she beat China’s He Bingjiao in the final in Wuhan, China .
- The world No.4 Japanese clearly outclassed the world No.7 Bingjiao as she won 21-19, 21-9 in just 42 minutes.
18# Kipchoge won title for record fourth time at London Marathon
- Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge ran the second fastest marathon in history to win the London Marathon for a fourth time .
- The 34-year-old Kipchoge pulled clear of Ethiopian runners Mosinet Geremew and Mule Wasihun in the final 10 minutes to complete the 26.2-mile (42.2-kilometer) course in 2 hours, 2 minutes, 37 seconds on a blustery day in the British capital.