Blog Single Post
22nd and 23rd April Current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
Navy chief launched new guided missile destroyer ‘INS Imphal’
- Indian Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba launched the third ship of Project 15B, a guided missile destroyer Imphal, at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders, Mumbai.
- Project 15B ships have been designed indigenously by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design. Each ship spans 163 metres in length and 17.4 metres at beam and displaces 7,300 tonnes.
- With a launch weight of 3,037 tonnes, the vessel made its first contact with water with full fanfare during the launching ceremony .
Election Commission Launches ‘Voter Turnout’ App for Android
- Election Commission of India (ECI) launched a new mobile app for the voters across the country to see the realtime availability of voter turnout during the election Phase in our country.
- The beta version of the ECI’s Voter Turnout app is available for download on the Google Play Store and as of now it has been downloaded over 6,000 times.
Malayalam film Bhayanakam won best cinematography at 2019 Beijing International Film Festival
- Malayalam film Bhayanakam (Fear) directed by Jayaraj won the best cinematography award at the Beijing International Film Festival.
- The cinematography was done by Nikihil S Praveen.The film had also won the best cinematography award at the 65th National Film Awards.
- The film portrays the visits of first World War veteran to a small village in the backwaters of Kerala’s Kuttanand as a postman during the World War-II. He shares with the families the good and bad news of the soldiers who took part in the war .
Mukesh Kumar elected Judo Union of Asia general secretary
- Former Judo Federation of India chief Mukesh Kumar was re-elected as general secretary of the Asian governing body at its ordinary congress at Fujairah in the UAE.
- Incumbent Judo Federation of India President Partap Singh Bajwa was elected as Vice President of Judo Union of Asia as well as President of South Asia Judo Federation.
Reliance retail passes Rs 1L cr revenue milestone in FY19
- Reliance retail has become the first Indian retail company to cross more than Rs 1 lakh crore in annual revenues.
- The retail venture of Reliance Industries reported an income of Rs 1,30,556 crore for 2018-19, 89% more than the previous year’s Rs 69,198 crore. Reliance Retail also became the first Indian retailer to cross more than 10,000 stores.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) has listed the Bhopal gas tragedy among the world’s major industrial accidents in the last century.
- The report released by the the UN labour agency International Labour Organization (ILO) said that in 1984, at least 30 tons of methyl isocyanate gas, which was released from the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, affected over 600,000 workers and nearby inhabitants.
- The report titled ‘The Safety and Health at the Heart of the Future of Work – Building on 100 years of experience’ said the Bhopal disaster was among the world’s “major industrial accidents after 1919“.
- The 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy which killed thousands of people is among the world’s “major industrial accidents” of the 20th century, a UN report has said, warning that 2.78 million workers die from occupational accidents and work-related diseases each year.
NATIONAL EARTH DAY – April 22
- On 22nd April 2009 the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution declaring 22nd April as the “International Mother Earth Day”.
- The resolution was adopted to reaffirm the agenda of sustainable development and also to acknowledge the role of earth as a mother, who sustains and nurtures all the species, including humans, animals and plants.
- World Earth Day 2019 theme was “Protect Our Species”. It mainly focused on saving species which are on the verge of extinction due to climate change, deforestation, pollution and illegal poaching.
Hindu temple in Abu Dhabi to be spiritual home for Indian residents
- The foundation stone of the first Hindu temple in UAE’s capital Abu Dhabi was laid recently.
- Mahant Swami Maharaj, spiritual head of the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar- Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) presided over the four-hour ceremony.
- The temple embodies the timeless Vedic values of Vasudev Kutumbakam
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman addresses Naval Commanders Conference
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman addressed the Naval Commanders Conference that began in New Delhi . The three day Conference is the apex forum within the Service for interaction between the Naval Commanders.
- During the conference, the Chief of the Naval Staff, with the Commanders-in-Chief, will review major operational, logistics, training and administrative activities undertaken during the last six months and deliberate upon the course to be steered in the ensuing six months.
India ranked 17th in the global startup ecosystem
- India was ranked 17th position among 100 countries in Startup Ecosystem Ranking for 2019 released by StartupBlink. india was ranked 37th spot last year. The report ranks countries based on the strength of its startup ecosystem.
- The United States, United Kingdom, and Canada are the top three countries ranked the first, second and third respectively in terms of global rankings.
- This ranking was based on the strength of its startup ecosystem.
- The cities with the most vibrant startup ecosystems in India are Bangalore, New Delhi and Mumbai.
India holds 19th ranks in Index of Cancer Preparedness
- Index of Cancer Preparedness (ICP) 2019
- Australia tops the ICP, followed by the Netherlands and Germany.
Saudi Arabia, Romania and Egypt are at the bottom in Index .
- India‘s overall rank is 19th out of 28 countries, with a score of 64.9.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU): The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), created in 1946, is the research and analysis division of The Economist Group and the world leader in global business intelligence.
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
Indian athletes win 5 medals on opening day of Asian Athletics Championships
- Indian athletes won five medals on the opening day of the Asian Athletics Championships in Doha .
- Javelin thrower Annu Rani and 3000-meter steeple chaser Avinash Sable won the silver medals .
- Quartermiler M P Poovamma, 5000-meter runner Parul Choudhary and 10000-meter runner Gavit Murali Kumar bagged a bronze each on a day.
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) has announced the creation of the Amartya Sen Chair in Inequality Studies
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) has announced the creation of the Amartya Sen Chair in Inequality Studies, named in honour of the India-born economist, philosopher and Nobel laureate, who was Professor of Economics at LSE from 1971-82.
- The public announcement of the chair was made during LSE’s biannual Amartya Sen Lecture. The lecture, ‘Foundations of State Effectiveness’, was delivered by Professor Sir Tim Besley with Professor Sen serving as discussant and LSE Director Minouche Shafik chairing.
Fognini Beats Lajovic To Win Monte-Carlo Title
- Fabio Fognini became the first Italian who won an ATP Masters 1000 title . Fabio achieved this feat at the Monte Carlo Masters by defeating Dusan Lajovic 6-3, 6-4 in one hour and 38 minutes.Fognini will rise to a career-high ranking of 12. Fognini had beaten Rafael Nadal in the semi-final.
- Fognini earns 1000 ATP Rankings points and receives €958,055 in prize money. Lajovic gains 600 points and €484,950 for his run to the championship match.
- Last time an Italian player Nicola Pietrangeli won the trophy in 1968. This event held every year at Monte Carlo Country Club.
FAME- India scheme
- The GOI approved the second phase of the FAME India scheme with a Rs 10,000-crore outlay to encourage adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles.
- The main objective of the scheme is to encourage Faster adoption of Electric and hybrid vehicle by way of offering upfront Incentive on purchase of Electric vehicles and also by way of establishing a necessary charging Infrastructure for electric vehicles. The scheme will help in addressing the issue of environmental pollution and fuel security.
- This scheme is the expanded version of the present scheme titled ‘FAME India1 which was launched on 1st April 2015, with total outlay of Rs. 895 crores.