Blog Single Post
19th,20th and 21st April current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
April 19 is observed as World Liver Day
- World liver day is observed on every 19 April, to spread awareness about liver related disease.
- The liver is the second largest and the most complex organ in the body, with the exception of the brain.
- It is a key player in your body’s digestive system. Everything you eat or drink, including medicine, passes through the liver. You cannot survive without liver. It is an organ which can be easily damaged if you don’t take good care of it.
Norway is ranked first in the World Press Freedom Index 2019
- India dropped two places to be ranked 140th out of 180 countriesin the global press freedom index analysis.
- Norway is ranked first in the World Press Freedom Index 2019 for the third year running while Finland(up two places) has taken second place from the Netherlands(down one at 4th).
- Turkmenistan (down two at 180th) is now last in the World Press Freedom Index 2019.
- The index is released by Reporters Without Borders.
IMF and World Bank Launched Learning Coin For In-House Purposes
- The two Major financial agencies The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank want to gain insights into how blockchain and cryptocurrencieswork.
- To get a better understanding of the subject, they launched a private blockchain and quasi-cryptocurrency called “Learning Coin”.
- The World Bank and IMF emphasized that this project should not be regarded as a way to promote cryptocurrencies as it is focused on knowledge and educational aspects .
Canara Bank Becomes The First Public Sector Bank In India To Meet RBIs EMV Mandate
- ACI Worldwide, a global provider of real-time electronic payment and banking solutions Canara Banksuccessfully rolled out major new functionality to support EMV card acquiring across its ATM network and Aadhaar Authentication, leveraging ACI’s UP Retail Payments solution to achieve market firsts.
- Canara Bank, with nearly 6,300 branches and a network of more than 10,000 ATMs.
- About Canara Bank
Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Key person: T. N. Manoharan .
Indian peacekeepers in S Sudan awarded medal of honour for dedicated service
- UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) is working to deter violence against civilians by providing a safe and secure environment for South Sudanese people who have fled violence and sought sanctuary at Protection of Civilian sites across the country.
- United Nations honoured 150 Indian peacekeepers serving with the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) with medals of honour for their dedicated service and sacrifice .
NASA’s 1st Female Astronaut Candidate Jerrie Cobb Passes Away
- America’s first female astronaut candidate, pilot Jerrie Cobb passed away in Florida at the age of 88 following a brief illness.
- In 1961, Cobb became the first woman to pass astronaut testing. Altogether, 13 women passed the arduous physical testing and became famous as the Mercury 13.
- ABOUT NASA
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C.
- United States Founder: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Founded: 29 July 1958,United States
- Administered by: Jim Bridenstine.
India and France to hold their largest Naval Exercise VARUNA
- India and France are all set to hold their largest naval exercise with aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines and fighters early May as part of their expanding strategic partnership.
- The two countries will be deploying their aircraft carriers INS Vikramaditya and FNS Charles de gaulle with their Mig-29K and Rafale-M naval fighter jets.
- Varuna is a high-level marine training, with extensive twin aircraft carrier job team procedures as well as anti-submarine war manoeuvres.
- The yearly version of the Indo-France maritime operation called ‘Varuna’ is going to be carried out in beginning of May, near the shore of Goa.
INS Kolkata, INS Shakti to participate in Chinese International fleet review(IFR)
- The Indian Navy will participate in International Fleet Review (IFR) that is scheduled to take place in Qingdao, China as part of 70th Anniversary celebrations of People’s Liberation Army Navy .
- The Indian Navy would be represented in the IFR by indigenously built stealth guided missile destroyer INS Kolkata and fleet support ship INS Shakti.
- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe .
- Indian Navy Chief – Sunil Lanba.
Exim Bank funded projects worth USD 267 million in Rwanda
- Export Import Bank of india (Exim Bank) has provided soft loans of USD 266.60 million to Rwanda for various projects.
- The funding, done in three separate tranches to Rwanda, is to support:1) agricultural projects 2) development of special economic zones (SEZs) and 3) for financing road project in the African nation.
- About Rwanda:
Currency: Rwandan franc
President: Paul Kagame
Prime Minister: Edouard Ngirente
Book On Jallianwala Bagh Poem ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ Released In UAE
- A book containing English translation of the 100-year-old classic Punjabi poem about Jallianwala Bagh massacre, ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ released in Abu Dhabi.
- India’s Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh Suri commended the launch of the book.
- The poem was translated by Mr. Suri whose grandfather, revolutionary poet and novelist Nanak Singh, a Jallianwala Bagh survivor, wrote it after witnessing first-hand the events of April 13, 1919.
India’s Bajrang Punia has regained the world number one spot in the men’s 65-kilogram freestyle category rankings.
- India’s Bajrang Punia has regained the world number one spot in the men’s 65-kilogram Wrestling freestyle category rankings.
The rankings were released by United World Wrestling.
- Bajrang won Gold in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well as a silver in the World Championships last year, secured 58 points ahead of Akhmed Chakaev of Russia.
- Bajrang is currently preparing for the Asian Wrestling Championship to be held in China from the 23rd of this month.
Amazon plans to close down online retail operations in China
- Amazon plans to close down its online retail operations that cater to consumers in China in an apparent admission of defeat to local e-commerce rivals such as Alibaba and JD.com .
- The US e-commerce pioneer will maintain other operations in China such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kindle e-books and cross-border teams that help ship goods from Chinese merchants to customers abroad .
The US has won a World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling against China’s
- The U.S. has won a World Trade Organization ruling against China’s use of tariff-rate quotas for rice, wheat and corn.
- The case, lodged by the Obama administration in late 2016, marks the second U.S. victory in as many months in the country’s ongoing trade spat with China.
- U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said the ruling would help American farmers “compete on a more level playing field.”
The Union Cabinet approved continuation of the on going Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) programme phase-4
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved ongoing GSLV continuation programme Phase-4 consisting of five GSLV flights during the period 2021-2024.
- The GSLV Programme – Phase 4 will enable the launch of 2 tonne class of satellites for Geo-imaging, Navigation, Data Relay Communication and Space Sciences.
- The total fund requirement is Rs. 2729.13 Crores and includes the cost of five GSLV vehicles, essential facility augmentation, Programme Management, and Launch Campaign along with the additional funds required for meeting the scope of the ongoing GSLV Continuation Programme.