Blog Single Post
14th,15th and 16th April Current Affairsby utkarsh dixit
Category : Current Affairs
Alice G. Vaidyan awarded the Freedom of the City of London
- Alice G. Vaidyan, Chairman and Managing Director of the General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India.
- She has been awarded the Freedom of the City of London in recognition of her work to promote insurance ties between India and the UK.
- Freedom of the City is an honour bestowed by a City of London Corporation upon a valued member of the community, or upon a visiting celebrity or dignitary.
Professor Najma Akhtar Appointed As First Women vice–chancellor of Jamia Millia Islam
- The Ministry of Human Resources and Development issued a statement about appointing Professor Najma Akhtar as vice–chancellor of Jamia Millia Islam about Professor Najma Akhtar as vice–chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia University (JMI) by the President of India .
- She is appointed for a period of five years. Professor Najma Akhtar will be the first woman to hold the post .
Rio Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik was named as the recipient of the New Zealand Prime Minister’s Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019
- Deepa Malik became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympic Games when she bagged a silver in shot put F 53 at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, scoring her personal best of 4.61m .
- She will work to promote sporting, cultural as well people-to-people relationship between India and New Zealand.
- The fellowship, awarded by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, aims to strengthen the ties between India and New Zealand.
- New Zealand Capital : Wellington
- Currency: New Zealand dollar
India has successfully test-fired first indigenously designed and developed long-range sub-sonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) conducted the flight test of the nuclear-capable Nirbhay cruise missile, India’s first indigenously designed and developed long-range cruise missile, from the Integrated Test Range on Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
- The Nirbhay is a subsonic long-range land attack cruise missile that can be armed with a 200-300-kilogram warhead . it can strike land targets at a distance of up to 1,000 kilometers.
- Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO
Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
First-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ inaugurated in Gurugram
- India’s first-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ was inaugurated in Gurugram T, aimed at increasing voter awareness and educating people about the electoral process .
- the Goal of establishing Voter Park was also to motivate eligible people to vote in the Lok Sabha election, so that they can contribute to the progress of the country.
- ‘Selfie Point’ has also been set up in the park, where people can click selfies displaying the indelible ink mark on their finger after casting their vote .
UAE to host world’s foremost Artificial Intelligence Summit
- AI Summit to empower global dialogue on the future of government, business and society. The inaugural ‘AI Everything’, AIE will take place at the Dubai World Trade Centre, between 30th of this month and 1st of next month.
- It will be hosted by the UAE National Programme for Artificial Intelligence, with the support of International Telecommunication Union, ITU, and the World Intellectual Property Organisation, WIPO, and in strategic partnership with Smart Dubai.
Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting begins in London
- The UK will host the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) with leaders from members countries gathering in London and Windsor .
- The Commonwealth is a diverse community of 53 nations that work together to promote prosperity, democracy and peace.
- The summit’s theme is: ‘Towards a common future’
- Head quarter of commonwealth is LONDON.
CMFRI Signs Agreement With ISRO To Save Coastal Wetlands
- The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have joined hands to map, validate and protect smaller wetlands in coastal regions. The programme is aimed at restoring them through coastal livelihood programmes.
- Agreement was signed between the CMFRI and the Space Applications Centre of ISRO to develop a mobile app and a centralised web portal that will have a comprehensive database of wetlands that are smaller than 2.25 hectares in the country .
Crying Girl photo by John Moore won the World Press Photo of the Year Award
- This year’s overall winning image was Crying Girl, showing an Honduran toddler, Yanela Sanchez, as she and her mother are taken into custody by U.S. border officials in McAllen, Texas, on June 12, 2018, taken by American photographer John Moore, a senior staff photographer and special correspondent for Getty Images.
- He received €10,000 (£8,600) as prize amount.
India World Cup Squad 2019: Ambati Rayudu and Rishabh Pant miss out as selectors announce team
- The BCCI announced the 15-member Team for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, scheduled to be held from May 30 to July 14, 2019.
- The team does not include Rishabh Pant and Ambati Rayudu; while Vijay Shanker, Dinesh Karthik and KL Rahul were named in the team .
- ICC HQ-: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- ICC Chairman-: Manu Sawhney became the fifth Chief Executive of the ICC on 1 April 2019
India bagged a Gold and two Silver medals at the Boxing World Cup at Cologne in Germany
- Meena Kumari Maisnam (54kg) continued her impeccable form to finish on the top of the podium at the Cologne Boxing World Cup 2019 in Cologne.
- Sakshi (57kg) and Pwilao Basumatary (64kg) lost their final bouts and finished with silver medals.
Tiger Woods captured his fifth Masters title and his 15th major tournament
- Woods won his 15th major title at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia.
- In a spectacular return to past glory, Tiger woods won the 2019 Masters , his first victory in one of golf’s four major tournaments in over a decade .
- Woods now has 15 major titles under his belt, placing him three behind record holder Jack Nicklaus, who has 18.
- Woods’ triumph marked his fifth Masters title; he previously won the green jacket awarded its victor in 1997, 2001, 2002, and 2005. Sunday’s win also was the first time he had won any major without holding at least a share of the lead going into the final round.